Tuesday 17 April 2012

Entrepreneurship

Moving on from a post that is possibly a decade too late, I would like to address the topic close to my heart, entrepreneurship.

Entrepreneurship is the very act of creating a formal structure with the premise of creating value through the allocation of resources with economic reward being the outcome of success.

Creating a business has been something which has captivated me for a long time. I enjoy conceptualizing new ideas, find solutions to problems and my biggest bug bear is redundant processes. Simply put, inefficiencies.

Whilst driving, it is imperative that I drive by the shortest possible route to avoid the jam. Whilst on my stint at Barclays Capital, shortcut keys on excel were my best friend in ensuring that I reduced the time lost moving my hand between the keyboard and mouse. If each shortcut saves at least 5 seconds ( the time which one moves from the keyboard to the mouse, then finding the right function), 100 actions result in saving of around 8 minutes a day and about 2083 minutes in a work year. That's about almost 1.5 days over the work year!

Don't get me wrong. I am not a speed freak! I am someone that is able to enjoy my carefully cooked scrambled eggs which is the result of the right technique of stirring, heat control and optimal proportion of salt, cream and cheese. I will slow cook my beef overnight just to ensure the meat is succulent with the right texture and maximum taste.

Cooking is something close to my heart; hence my analogies will revolve around it.

Like the best recipes, entrepreneurship needs the right mix of ingredients; temperament, foresight, skill sets, tenacity and luck.

Even with the right mix, the "value" that we create is  left circumspect to popular opinion which may not always be directly correlated to the "best" idea or one which has the best outcome.

Most importantly, the biggest question is still "Are you willing to pay the price?"

No comments:

Post a Comment